Words that describe people and things are called adjectives (adjetivos).
· Most have a masculine and feminine form.
o The masculine form usually ends in –o.
o The feminine form usually ends in –a.
· Masculine adjectives are used to describe masculine nouns.
o El chico es ordenado y simpático.
· Feminine adjectives are used to describe feminine nouns.
o Marta es ordenada y simpática.
· Adjectives that end in –e are used to describe both types of nouns.
o Anita es inteligente.
· Adjectives whose masculine form ends in –dor have a feminine form that ends in –dora.
o Juan es trabajador.
o Luz es trabajadora.
· Some adjectives that end in –a, such as deportista, describe both masculine and feminine nouns. You just have to memorize which adjectives follow this pattern.
o Tomás es deportista.
o Marta es deportista también.